Wednesday, November 24, 2004

The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread

I reckon it must have been bread torn apart with the hands and eaten still warm from the oven (the bread, not the hands).

The best a cappella group I've seen for yonks is Myrth - four women from Port Macquarie who I had the pleasure of hearing at a recent Blindman's Holiday gig at the PM Regional Gallery. Their picture, below, shows them in "costume one" phase - respectable ladies with twin sets and pearls. They were dressed like this when I met them before the show - they had their act down so well I was almost fooled. Their songs are topical, sung with passion and they have fantastic arrangements and beautiful voices. I hope they expand on their four-song repertoire soon!

The painting behind them was the backdrop for our performances - a very sinister painting by George Gittoes showing Afghani children on an abandoned carousel they found. I wrote a haiku about it:

Thick with dancing paint
And larger than my small life
Spins the carousel

Making merriment with our backs to this painting was daunting to me. Or perhaps we were just part of a largrer art installation, or perhaps the world's a ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home