Friday, November 05, 2004

My name is Jann Jansson

Ha. Tricked you. Coz it's NOT!

Driving back from the Wheeze and Suck Band gig last night I had a nightmare-comes-to-life type of experience. So, I'm driving through the quiet mostly dark grounds of Gladesville Hospital. It used to be the place people went when they forgot to take their special pills. And there are secret tunnels and big fig trees and sandstone buildings. It was bucketing down last night and I found myself driving round and round in ridiculously labyrinthine circles and down dead-end lanes. I couldn't find my way out. It was a ll giant trees and rain and darkness and sandstone. Finally found myself in some godforsaken dead-end. had to reverse out a long way back without really being able to see much. Was I whistling the theme to The Archers? NO! I was recalling that scene in "The Murder Room" where he can't see out of his car window properly and someone pounds on his window but he can't see who it is and then five seconds later his car has been set alight with him in it. Funny how the mind works.

The good news is that obviously, as I'm posting this to the blog, I must have made it home without being kidnapped by Treebeard or blown up by someone who didn't want me to close their forensic musuem. Phew.

I once went on an adventure with a group of teenagers through Western NSW and South Australia on a mini-bus. We were touring a show called "Rated X" on the taboo subject of teenage depression. When they weren't insisting I wore the fake nose-ring they'd given me, they were singing this song:

You're a directional spastic
You don't know which way is which
And the people you meet as you walk down the street
They all point to you and they say ..
(repeat ad nauseum. Tour lasted two and a half weeks. You do the maths).

And the tune? The "Jann Janssen" ditty of course!

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter Bryenton said...

has one of those spooky trapped in a road map experiences too, in New York State. Kept taking different roads at the junctions; eventually kept on driving past the same buildings.
Maybe I'm dreaming this blog too.
xxx
B.

6:41 pm  
Blogger Peter Bryenton said...

has = Had.
(Migraine)

6:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home