Monday, May 16, 2005

songs we've been asked to learn

Sometimes - nay, often - someone will come up to us after a gig and say "hey - you guys should sing THIS song...". This is a fine thing. Often it's a really good idea and it sits and percolates for a month, or a couple of years, until we realise the incredible insight and wisdom of the suggestion - even though in our ignorance we may have scoffed or looked vaguely appalled in the first instance.

Some of the songs that have been put forward - but not yet attempted - include:
  • Nights in White Satin

  • Horse With No Name

  • A song about gnomes, publicans and toilets

  • The Rose

  • Nearly every christmas carol in christendom

Chris and Terry might be able to recall others, and add them as a comment to this post. And you, our solitary reader, may like to suggest still more titles.

In a related vein... a gentlemen once asked us if we had thought of doing Tant Que Vivrai as a round (bear in mind that we're talking about a polyphonic Renaissance French chanson here), and another remarked proudly (at the Same Gig) that his band did an a cappella version of "Here We Go, Here We Go, Here We Go...". That's obviously quite a different kettle of fish to the orchestral version.

5 Comments:

Blogger christina@eastsidearts.org.au said...

I think another suggestion was "Turning of a Friendly Card". God bless Alan Parsons. I thought we could do a medley of all of the above. But without "The Rose" - we couldn't afford the number of barf bags required to outfit each audience member.

I've NEVER heard people suggest we do Christmas carols. They must see that certain look in my eyes and perster Kate with it instead.

Marg suggested we do Phil Ochs' "The Bells" (poem by EA Poe) which isn't a stupid suggestion at all. And lots of hunchback impersonation opportunities for Terry.

I myself would love to attempt a cover version of Tom Waits' "What's He Building In There?"

12:19 am  
Blogger Kt said...

Not Christmas carols?!

Do you not recall the Sydney Lord Mayor's Christmas drinks - the one where you got the worst ever attach of the giggles and there was a woman wearing a beak - every person and their canine companion came up to ask us to sing their favourite carol.
I nearly wrote "We don't know any" on a piece of paper to hold up, as they kept trying to butt in in the middle of whatever else we were doing.

And then there are the calls I get every year... but I just refer them to tose delightful carol-singing chicks Mistletoe.

6:06 pm  
Blogger christina@eastsidearts.org.au said...

No - I got an attack of the giggles because we were singing "the streets are still quiet and bare" and I thought "BEAR!"

Later when I had recovered. Kate turned to me and whispered "look at that woman - she has a beak" which set us both off.

It's not as though anyone was listening though ... kinda like the time we played during the banquet at a certain festival which shall remain nameless. No one gave a rat's (they were too busy tearing chickens apart with their hands and showing their bums - their own, not the parsons' noses) so we changed all the words to the songs and had a laugh and no one else had a clue.

We do have some laughs.

12:10 pm  
Blogger Jane said...

I was thinking "oh, hyperbole, surely they would never actually scoff at a suggestion" - though I can definitely imagine a vaguely appalled look - until I came to the part about The Rose.

As for suggestions, I asked myself "what else could they do in the same vein as my current favourite, 'We've got cake'/" & the answer that came was 'When Gravity's Holding You Down (look up!)' by Fred Small.

11:42 pm  
Blogger James Henry said...

'Head like a hole'. Always wanted to hear a quiet version.

6:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home